Since the times of yore, researches and experiments in the various fields have always blessed the human society with boons. Applying this same trend to Information Technology, it is worth mentioning that the human life is sheltered by the comforts of lush tech gadgets of which the iGadgets of Apple have always been in gossip.
iPad makes an appeal to the music lovers for enjoying music everywhere, whereas iPhone rules everybody’s heart via the combined power of mobile + iPad.
However, no gadget can be taken for granted; in fact, you need to handle them with care. This is because a gadget is one of the vital sources of your personal information and so is the iPad and iPhone. Right from text to multimedia messages and from contacts to music files, these iGadgets allow you to store different information of which some can be even confidential that you do not wish to lose or leak at any cost. This is where the need of taking a backup arises! However, you need to ensure that even your backup is safe.
What Makes Backup Safe
Now, the concern is that even backup needs some kind of protection. Although you make a second copy of your confidential or vital information via backup, you actually have to protect the replicated copy so that nobody can expose it.
Remember, backup is only for retrieving the desired information from a secondary source in case the primary storage gets corrupted or becomes unusable forever. This means that backup is not meant for securing or protecting your data. It is just that you are ensuring to make the information accessible even in case of emergencies or unexpected situations.
So now, the question is how to ensure protection to your backup from unauthorized access? Well, the answer to this is encrypting the backup. So, when it comes to backing up your iPad or iPhone, you will be happy to know that you can encrypt it as well. The best part is that it is very easy to do so in these gadgets because of the simple steps to follow.
How to Encrypt an iPad and iPhone Backup
To encrypt a backup, you will have to just use the iTunes app for successfully completing the process in just a few clicks. However, you will have to ensure that the app is present on your PC. So, here are the steps to do so.
1. Open the iTunes application on your PC.
2. Connect your iGadget to the system with the help of a USB cable.
3. Click the icon in the System Tray, which indicates the newly found hardware.
4. In the sidebar, navigate to the device’s tab. This will open the Options screen on the right.
5. Select Encrypt Backup that is located at the bottom of the Options screen. A dialog box is displayed for you to enter a password for encryption. Here, enter such a password that you can remember easily because you won’t get a chance to recreate it again.
6. Click the Set Password button. Finally, iTunes will start taking an encrypted backup of your Apple device.
This is the procedure of encrypting the backups that you will make henceforth. However, you might have a question as to whether it is possible to encrypt the already taken or old backups. Well sadly, you will not be able to do so. In this case, you might want to delete your old backups because they are unencrypted, and hence, not secure enough to reserve the disk space.
How to Delete an iPad and iPhone Backup
Deleting a backup on your iPhone or iPad is also quite easy with iTunes. Here are the steps to do so.
1. Open the iTunes app on your system.
2. Navigate to Edit –> Preferences (in case of Windows).
3. Click the Devices tab. A list of backups is displayed.
4. Select the desired backup.
5. Click the Delete Backup button.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for deleting all the backups.